Summertime is synonymous with fireworks, barbeques and large bodies of water. It can be a magical experience but an eye ailment can turn a happy season into a sickly one.
There are many eye problems that can arise during the summer including conjunctivitis (pink eye) and eye related injuries. Here are tips on how to take proper care of the eye.
1. Wear sun protection
The skin is not the only part of the body that needs protection from the sun. The eyes need to be protected from the sun’s harmful rays. Protection includes wearing sunglasses and hats.
2. Wear eye protection at home, and while playing sports
· If you are planning on doing a home projects that has particles flying around, like wood chippings, it is essential to wear eye protection to prevent a particles from flying into your eye.
· For kids, eye protection should be worn while playing sports that involve smaller balls. For example, baseball and paintball players should wear shields that protect the eyes.
3. Take proper care of contacts
Contact lenses are worn often during the summertime for ease and convenience but they can also cause a lot of inconveniences. If you are ready to fully enjoy your summer without the hassle of contacts, give us a call. Otherwise, here are a few don’ts for contact lens wearers:
· Don’t wearing contacts for an extended period of time. This can cause pink eye due to improper care of lenses. Symptoms of pink eye include watery and/or swollen eyes, discomfort and itchiness.
· Do not wear contacts in the pool. There is a high chance that they will be washed away by water.
· If your eye stings get out of the water, wash your eyes and take out your contacts.
4. Firework safety
The fourth of July is filled with firework displays. They are pretty but according to USA.gov, statistics show that an average of 200 people are hurt during this period, with 17% of these injuries involving the eye. 40% of the people hurt were between the ages of 25-44. It is important fireworks are not taken lightly and handled with proper care.
Summertime is a great time to have fun and relax but proper care should be taken when it comes to the eye. Wearing proper protection, taking care of the eyes and ensuring proper handling of fireworks will lead to a safe summer.